Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Different Worlds



Two weeks in. Three classes down. And I'm asking myself why. This is my last semester at Metro and I have already completed all my major courses, all I have left are nine credits (three classes) for my minor.
I am minoring in Speech Communication. Now that I look back, not really the best minor, but its really late to go back and start over again. If I had the chance, I would change it to a Digital Media Minor, but I was misled by my "academic advisor" and told I could not minor in Digital Media if I was majoring in Photo J. Really, I should not get started on the adviser thing, as it is not really the topic of this blog, but really, why do they even have them??? Students wait in line for literally HOURS to talk to the high and mighty advisers. We sit down i their office (them having no idea who we are. They look at our papers and ask us what class we want. At one point I went in and asked my advisers if my year of Sign Language would count for part of my language requirement I need for my Journalism degree. What did she do? Called the Journalism department. She was not very good at getting my message across and told me no, according to the department, I had to take 4 semesters of the same language.
So I enrolled in a summer of Spanish. Not that I am complaining too much, I got a guy out of the deal so ya know, it was not all THAT bad. Then I enrolled in Spanish 3 for last fall. Sat down in class the first day and it was like I had never taken Spanish at all. I could barely understand what my professor was telling us to do. I stuck it out for about 5 weeks, and after getting "Fs" and "Ds" on all my tests (with hard studying to accompany all) I went to the head of the Photo J department and asked him what I should do. He pulls up my transcript and says "Cora, you already have 4 semesters to meet the foreign language requirement, 2 in Spanish and 2 in Sign." Well, I was relieved but had to roll my eyes. Those advisers are anything but. They are just there to push the "register" button on the computer, which any Metro student can do for themselves by registering online.
Now to the point of my story (I don't have to write in journalistic style here!) On Friday, I spent the day at school helping with the Met Report (The student News Cast) auditions that happen at the beginning of every semester. TV is a totally different ball game that I have never been very interested in. It is to sensational and too much depends on your looks. That is what I enjoy about the dying print journalism. You could be the ugliest person on the planet but dang do you take AWESOME photos. You would not be turned away. However (and I've seen it with my own eyes) People can be turned down, even if they are amazing, if they do not hold that presence on TV or do not look as good as the person before, they will not make the job. And that, to me is a sick thing. A person cannot help how they look. Talent is talent.
So, though I have strong opinions I have found myself in my last semester taking three classes all related to the TV industry. Yeah. I'm crazy, and sadly part of it is because that is the way the industry is going, toward moving pictures. So I must follow suit and having TV production classes on my transcript will help me out immensely. I am also looking into becoming one of their photographers. I know the gang well because Eric is a sports anchor and I usually am around anyway. Though I've noticed the sports industry is much more laid back (though Eric owns more make-up than I do - it is only for when he is on desk, and my occasional need for cover up - But the guys tend to care less and there is not as much drama.

No comments:

Photographs are under copyright. Please, do not steal photos.